Pinellas County, Florida
The custom Bloomsburg carpet especially designed for the St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport featured a unique pattern that Kelly Taaffe Design Inc, created just for the project. To translate the design into the more than 65,000-square-feet of wear resistant colorfast commercial carpet needed for the project, the design studio worked closely with Bloomsburg’s computer design technicians and artists to turn their creative inspiration into a reality. The carpet was made to reflect the natural indigenous beauty of the surrounding flora and fauna of the Tampa Bay. Utilizing a bright color palette of greens, blues, sands and black. The six-foot by six-foot pattern swirls and repeats itself throughout the terminal.
The pattern provides a fresh, unified look, leading departing travelers through the airport with a final reminder of the beauty and tropical feel of the city of Tampa and welcoming weary travelers home to a sunny open reminder of why they call St. Petersburg, Florida home.
Ultimately, the carpet tied each terminal of the airport together and helped achieve the project design goal of a unified and fresh, new look for the historic airport that supports over 123,000 operations per year. Centrally located in the Tampa Bay area, the airport was the birthplace of commercial flights when Mayor Abram C. Pheil of St. Petersburg and Mae Peabody of Dubuque, Iowa, were the first passengers to fly from the airport across Tampa Bay at a (then) astounding altitude of 50 feet. It was the flight that marked the birth of commercial flight in 1903.
In March of 1941 construction of the current airport location began and after the attack on Pearl Harbor the Airport was aquired by the US Army Air Forces. After WWII, the airport property was returned to Pinellas County to operate as a commercial airport at which time it was given the designation PIE which it uses to this day.
The airport recently completed the $9.5 million dollar renovation that included Bloomsburg Carpets throughout the main terminals of this 1900 acre, four runway international airport, which by late 2012 was averaging 334 flights of various natures (commerical, military, helicopter, and general aviation).